The close of the war
The close of the war did not put an end to the factory’s history. The needs for raw materials at the time of reconstruction were substantial and the Germans had left a stock of 90,000 cubic meters of pebbles already extracted from the beach. The factory thus pursued its activity with around 30 workers. The activity would serve to reconstruct the roads of southern Finistère and Brest. The factory, referred to by elders as “the construction site”, closed its doors in 1948. In spite of its more constructive second era, the past of the crushing site branded its mark on the minds and bodies of locals.
Today the towering walls are painted over with two murals signed by the artist Heol, along with other graffities. An explanatory panel informs visitors on the site’s history. The seaboard preservation trust Conservatoire du Littoral, owner of the site, ensures this heritage is passed on.